Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Hump Day Bump Day updates- 30 weeks

Happy Feast of the Annunciation!


It also happens to be the 30 week marker for Sweet Baby O - so there is that. 

Two weeks ago, when we hit 28 weeks (I know, math is hard), I couldn't believe we were suddenly in the third trimester! That's mostly because who the hell knows when each trimester begins and ends?? But according to all my pregnancy app notifications we were finally into the 3rd tri...thank God for technology- how were women ever pregnant without knowing what size fruit or vegetable their baby measured up to each week?

I will say that I mostly feel pregnant now. And 80% of the sideways "pregnant or just chubby?" glances have stopped. To help people out, I tend to rub my belly like a mad woman. Non-verbal communication #forthewin !  We had our monthly appt at 28 weeks, this time with a midwife because our OB was on vaca (in Fiji! Waaaaaaaa!), and Alex and I realized how spoiled we are by our OB. Ultrasounds every time to check her heartbeat and "just see how she's doing". Totally spoiled. I know. The midwife did not spoil us however: she just listened for Baby's heartbeat with a Doppler- honestly the most glorious sound in the entire world- and measured my belly.

Now, I have lived my entire life in this body...shocking, I know. But when you live in your body for 29 years, you learn a thing or two about how your body is made (or proportioned, for instance). Por ejemplo, regular one piece swimsuits are a nightmare because my torso is long. Typically even long torso suits are a crap shoot as to whether or not they will fit, or I'll look something like Jane Fonda in her high-cut spandex (hellllllooooo 80's!). Anyway, back to my story, when the midwife took her measuring tape and did a double take- I felt somehow vindicated. "WOAH! You have a seriously long torso!" She announced. "Really?" I asked, because somehow all the years of not being able to stand upright in trying on too short swimsuits didn't seem to validate this fact as much as a professional torso-measurer aka midwife. "Yeah, one of the longest I've seen!" Great, freak of nature, yet again. 

 Anyway, what it made me realize is that, aside from being a chubby preggo (which has its perks as well, let me tell you), perhaps my bump is on the smaller side, because my torso is so long, and Sweet Baby O is like chillin in a King Sized "bed" in there instead of having to fight my internal organs for living space. At any rate, when she started REALLY growing (babies double in weight between 26-30 weeks or something) my bump started popping. And people started telling me "you are starting to really look pregnant!" Thank God, I can stop rubbing my belly like I'm Buddha in public. 

Also, we had a follow up ultrasound last week to check on Baby's kidneys (they are still watching the size of her kidneys... I believe they were initially measuring large, but don't quote me), her weight, and amniotic fluid levels (perhaps because of potential kidney problems? Idk, I'm not a DR). The tech was wonderful, I told her we hadn't been able to see Baby or get any good images because she had been stubborn, so she printed us a bajillion. Okay, like 15, but enough that I felt kinda rediculous walking out of the exam room with this big long string of ultrasound pics. I finally got to see her face! Her little nose, and lips, and chin...sucking on amniotic fluid (yum!). And the highlight... Which you already know if you follow me on Instagram... She was playing with her toes! AMAZING. 

and now, picture overload. You're welcome. 

28 weeks, versus...

30 weeks



Fin. 



No comments:

Post a Comment