Tuesday, October 4, 2016

In which I tell you all the things - DS facts

"...but Maegan, apart from cute babies, what is Down Syndrome? What does it do? What does it mean for the people that have it?"

GREAT question, readers! I'm SO glad you asked! ;)

Let me share with you what I knew about Down syndrome before I had a child with Ds:

Down syndrome is the common name for a medical condition called Trisomy 21.

Most people have 46 chromosomes, (23 from Mom, and 23 from Dad), that come together to make up the unique traits of each individual person. People with Down syndrome contain a whole (or partial) EXTRA chromosome of the 21st order. (ha! ;) so... that 21st chromosome is TRIPLED, hence: TRIsomy 21.

People with Down syndrome are just a little different from people without it. 


Annd there you have it! The extent of my expertise on Down syndrome!
Most of what I have learned, I have learned by necessity. I think that's important for new and prospective parents to hear. You learn what you need when you need it. You might learn some stats, and digest some information, but the real meat of what you need to know comes with necessity. You will learn, just like I am! You don't have to be an expert.

So, let's learn some things:
source: http://brandongaille.com/16-stunning-down-syndrome-demographics/ (2015)


I'll share more in upcoming posts about our own experiences, etc., but for now I'd like to know what you have learned? Did any of this information surprise you? What would you like to know more about?

No comments:

Post a Comment