Friday, March 21, 2014

A98


Because I cleaned the past couple days, (kinda), and because I have committed to be as real as possible, I'm going to post some pictures that display some of the beautiful things I love about our apartment, even though they show some of our mess too.

Keep in mind, we are on a SUPER limited income, and have mostly had to rely completely on things we already had, were gifted at our showers/wedding, inherited from generous people. There are lots of things I want to do, buy, make, etc., when I become rich. You too? Oh good. :)

Welcome to apartment A98!


The view of our dining area from our kitchen. Yes, that is a couch as a kitchen table bench. We inherited this high-back love seat and I am totally attached to it and we didn't have anywhere to put it. I had the inspiration to put it in the kitchen, and we love it. It's cozy, country-chic with the gingham fabric, and that is totally accidental because we inherited it! Also, hanging on the wall is our coffee cabinet. When we have more money, I want to put a cute yellow, or red, or navy, little cabinet underneath it on the floor as a mini beverage cart/stand. Coffee pots take up so much counter space! We love coffee. Also, wood linoleum floors. We weren't promised our apartment would have them, but the model we viewed did and I was obsessed with them. Alex and I wanted the wood look because it adds SO much character to this cookie cutter, pre-fabbed, suburban apartment. We opened the door the first day, saw the floors, and cried. (Of course). God's little confirmation that He was taking care of us all along. 







Turned, facing the opposite direction. Galley kitchen, per standard of every apartment in a 10 mile radius of us. I thought I would hate how closed off it feels, but it's not too bad. I hung my aprons on the far wall for a pop of happy. We have a decent amount of cupboard space, and A DISHWASHER! The. Best. Oh, and we just bought that succulent on the table, and every time I see it, it reminds me of my bestie, Jacqui. 







Here is one of the walls of our family room. Still a little messy (note the random stuff on the floor under the shelves), and the shelves are a little busy with stuff, but for now it's how we have it set up. Makeshift bar on top, DVDs, photos, collectibles dispersed below. Alex and I went on a date to the Getty in November, and stopped at a WholeFoods in Hollywood on the way back, and saw those citrus crates out back, to be thrown out. We swiped 6 of them in a total Bonnie and Clyde moment ("You get the car running... I'll throw the crates in! ...Wait! They're too heavy! Come back and help!" or something like that...) and were able to use 5 (one had a warped board and the other boards split upon trying to nail it back down). We set up the crates as a tv stand. I have to be honest, crate furniture is all over Pinterest, and I sort of felt like it just was the trendy thing to do. When I nabbed the crates, I still kinda felt like I was just chasing a trend, but now that we have them in, I'm converted. These were already stained, and are the perfect blend of rustic and, uh... not rustic? On the wall above the tv is a wooden key, from Target, a terra cotta our lady of Guadalupe from Cozumel, MX, and our family clock- a wedding present from Alex's brother and sister-in-law. It says "Odicino Family est. 2013" and I cried when we opened it. What a lovely gift!







This is the main decorative stuff over the main couch which sits opposite of the tv you just saw. It is so special to us for many reasons, and we find it fitting that is our "art piece" in our family room. The icon of St. Francis was a wedding gift to us from our marriage prep couple (who also happen to be dear friends of ours). It is a print of an icon written by a woman from my parish, an icon written in honor of Pope Francis, taken to an audience with Francis in Rome, and "confiscated" by him to be kept for his personal property! I love it, and I love the colors. On the shelf below it is a gold cross, a votive candle, a picture of our favorite little Lucy niece (the same one that was on our table during our wedding reception), a Madonna and Child statue from St Patrick's Cathedral in London, and on the wall, a wooden Immaculate Heart from our honeymoon in Xcaret, MX.


Our home is a work in progress, but it is ours, and it is warm, and it is "us" and we are so blessed and grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment